Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Moments"

At the beginning of the day, have you ever felt like you could conquer the world, but by the end of it you feel like the world has conquered you? I don't know if it is the newly entered workforce, my social calendar, or just dissatisfaction with parts of my life that have a constantly draining effect on me, but whatever it is, it is ever present and completely consistent.

I find myself a lot of the times living for the in between moments. The moments when, even for only a short period of time, I am at complete peace with myself. There is no sadness, no uncertainty, no restlessness, just peace. Even though these moments may be few and far between, they are what get me through the day, both the experience of the moment itself and the anticipation of the next one to come. Crazy or not, sometimes they are my salvation. A small reminder to stop, take a breath, and keeping moving forward.


In these "moments", or so I call them, I want to stop and just be. Stop the incessant talking, doing, planning, playing, eating, stressing; just stop it all. Unfortunately, the only thing I can count on is the slap across the face I get from reality when someone or something jerks me back in. I am forced back to my reality and everything that has and will always be chasing me...

The encouraging part is that I know that these moments are a little taste of God's grace; a grace that is so overwhelmingly apparent that it is sometimes too much to convey. A grace that relieves the pressure, soothes the pain, and encourages the spirit. Moments when I truly experience His grace, I know and feel like every emotion and sense got a taste of it. It is for this reason why I live for these moments. It is worth it all to get that tiny taste of Him and what is to come. Thanking Him is not nearly enough, but it is all I know to do.

What else is there?


"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another."
-John 1:16

No comments: